can-tastic.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
bought a shit ton of veg on sale last week. and got some snap lids finally, plus i need some space in the fridge since i will be cooking that motherfuckingturkey tomorrow.

so i'm making more canned beets today (this is pretty close to the recipe i use, except i omit any spice/flavours and just use 1T of pickling salt) and i'm thinking about making some carrot cake jam, because 10lbs of carrots take up too much valuable real estate. (if you havent been to rock recipes before, he's got some great recipes. love the tea buns.)

but while i was looking for a carrot recipe (which it looks like i will fuck with since i am not happy with what i am finding), i decided to have a look at the canning guidelines again and found this nifty little link from the USDA about the principles of home canning that others might find helpful if you are new to canning, or just want a refresher on food safety and shit.

Upvote 6

Lobotomizer

Click Clack
Dark Challenger
I bought a preserving and canning book last weekend because of your bundle of cookbooks comment
:phattip

I’ll check to see what it says on carrots.

Last edited:

Lobotomizer

Click Clack
Dark Challenger
These were the only carrot recipes it had

20211023_071353.jpg
20211023_072011.jpg
20211023_072151.jpg

Last edited:

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
i think i might have that book...the layout and recipes look familiar, but its been ages since i've cracked it, which means i might have gotten rid of it..

carrot marmalade (this one is just kept in the fridge, but i am sure there are similar recipes out there that are canned)? or something savoury like pickled carrots?? superstore (i think) has 10lb bags on for $2 right now. insane. if i still didnt have a shit ton, i would buy more. the carrot cake jam i have a link to in the first post turned out pretty tasty...did not add any pectin, just kept cooking it til it sheeted.

FreedomTruth

Truth shall make you free.
It's November 1rst and I just pulled the broccoli out of the garden and turned the stems into soup. Hopefully the leaves will go with supper. I still have some small cauliflower and cabbage in the garden to pull later this week. Brascia family is good because you can eat all of the plant if it's not too tough.

I'm hoping to turn the cabbage into something between saukraut and kimchee by adding garlic and jalapenos or something like that. Just gotta find some good jars to use from my basement.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor

WebWyyzrd

bought a shit ton of veg on sale last week. and got some snap lids finally, plus i need some space in the fridge since i will be cooking that motherfuckingturkey tomorrow.

so i'm making more canned beets today (this is pretty close to the recipe i use, except i omit any spice/flavours and just use 1T of pickling salt) and i'm thinking about making some carrot cake jam, because 10lbs of carrots take up too much valuable real estate. (if you havent been to rock recipes before, he's got some great recipes. love the tea buns.)

but while i was looking for a carrot recipe (which it looks like i will fuck with since i am not happy with what i am finding), i decided to have a look at the canning guidelines again and found this nifty little link from the USDA about the principles of home canning that others might find helpful if you are new to canning, or just want a refresher on food safety and shit.
saymynamecook it into sausages.
Apparently it's really fuckin good like that.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
its been far too long since i've canned the fuck out of anything. so i'm keeping it simple. got some cranberry cider jelly in the canner right now. might use some for *thumbprint cookies later...or just eat it. with a spoon.

*lets be honest...i'm too lazy these days to roll balls and poke them with my thumb...it;ll end up being split second cookies instead..way faster...plus those are the youngest kid's favourite cookies.