My IP was banned

X-Nemesis

Good morning pedes, so I posted a Hitler meme this morning and tried logging on just now only to find out my IP has been banned. Was this because of the Hitler meme? The only reason I'm able to post this is because I'm on a VPN.

If we IP banned you we would have killed the account too. It's possible your isp rotated your IP this morning into one we already banned because of other actors.

@The Conservationist will look into it.

AbleistSL

Critter in my basement
Colourblind Unfriendly
A mod forum also has allegations of mass rangebanning people because the ip's of banned users were dynamic.

Last edited:
View previous replies…
"This mod forum" you mean FCW? I've seen those "mass accusations" from users on .win that we specifically banned, and a couple who left of their own accord. Also from you, who we haven't banned for some reason.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
Our apologies, X-Nemesis.

As far as I know, you were not banned (intentionally).

We have only IP banned two members (and one spam bot) thus far ... IPegSpez, and, TrudeauEatShit.

It's likely that you shared an IP with one of them.

There's a few ways for this to happen, outside of you being one of those people (which we know you aren't).

Will check and work to prevent that from occuring again.

Last edited:
To clarify a bit: ip banning is one of the only real tools we have to protect the site, but the entire rotating IP system is an opaque box of anonymity. There is no easy way to confirm that an IP is not shared by more than one person, or that it will rotate out to someone else's computer in a few weeks.

The only counter for this is to either not use them, or let them expire after X days. Both of which leave the site more vulnerable.

The reason ISPs do this is to actively prevent decentralization. A rotating IP really screws with people trying to self host. So you have to pay extra to get a static IP, and then they start monitoring your traffic to see if you are hosting, and want you to pay extra again for a hosting package, which they also want you to be a registered business for, so that the government can tax you more.

Otherwise self-hosting would have naturally become the means of the average user, with simple and easy to use software developed for it, and the internet would be a more open and decentralized platform.

JordanPEDErson

Hard No.
Alberta Freedom Fighter
Our spambot system identifies IP's that have been blacklisted for lots of reasons. Mobile networks can cause issues as well. We banned a pile of spambots and I would imagine that you shared an IP address with one of them. Also, VPN's have a limited number of servers, so if a spambot network uses a certain VPN and YOU use the same VPN, your VPN servers could be banned as well.

Will have to work on a way to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

P.S. We would never ban someone for content without contacting them first and trying to work something out.

Last edited:

Mashiki

Based Member
Question, the bans you guys do are the IPv4 or IPv6 bans?

JordanPEDErson

Hard No.
Alberta Freedom Fighter
We can do either, it accepts either format.

Some IPv6 users are linked to an IPv4 addresses so that is the preference.

We don't really IP ban often anyways mostly reserved for botnets and shit.

Mashiki

Based Member
I admire your attempt at techie humor, but I'm sorry to say that the backscattering of pings like that would overwhelm the 3.4×10^38 addresses available to IPv6.