Backup Site or Communication?

Daru

Is there an official backup website or method of communication (Matrix or Telegram) for FreeCanada users? Or even a twitter account or something. It would mainly be for the event where this site gets DDOS'd or taken down permanently, especially with the election approaching.

Might be good to have it on the sidebar so people are aware. Then we can get information on site status in the event of downtime.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
We would probably re-group somewhere like Alpha Canada Gab, if something like that were to come to pass:

Good thinking though. Perhaps we should figure out some more contingencies.

DankRunner

Shitlord
Can we get a Session group going or something?

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
Oooouuu. Maybe this is the way.

View previous replies…

DankRunner

Shitlord
Yeah, I'd honestly prefer it if we could start using reasonably private and secure lines of communication instead of stuff that's just "not as bad as big tech". Mentioned it because it would be better than telegram/matrix in that regard. Otherwise the other stuff I can recommend is either spinning up our own or joining a pleroma/friendica instance (or other "fediverse" platforms like peertube, gab is based off of mastodon, but mastodon is kind of server heavy)

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
@DankRunner Yup, I'm aware of Session.

A friend has been asking me to join, as they're uncomfortable with Telegram. Makes sense as well, given everything.

Daru

Good call. I forgot about Session.

I am definitely for using a more private and secure app. It is just sometimes difficult to get non-tech people to use them. Still probably better than Gab, considering it went offline for a while and may be attacked again.

I like Matrix/Element since it is easy to use and has few to no issues. Is Session stable?

DankRunner

Shitlord
As far as I can tell Session is stable, it uses tor routing (although not on the actual tor network, and a set of other nodes seperate from the network) so should be fine for most threat models.

Last edited:

JordanPEDErson

Hard No.
Alberta Freedom Fighter
We were just talking about this in mod discord lol... good ideas and yes we should work on this. I encourage members to create groups on alternative platforms and share them here. We will promote them - if you want to make an FCW telgram or session or whatever go ahead! DM me if you plan to do it or want help or whatever. We have a lot to focus on here at FCW and administering a ton of other groups will prove impossible for our mod team. I am encouraging you guys to take the bull by the horns and run with this stuff - the more platforms we are on the better!

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
Links for Session download:

For anyone on Linux, see here for installation: