dehydrating.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
picked up a dehydrator at crappy yesterday since they are on sale right now and i've been kicking myself over getting rid of the one i used to have, but never used enough to justify the cupboard space at the time.

plan to do some backpacking meal shit soon, but right now i've got some yogurt drops...banana chips and blueberries going on.

and eggs. cant find powdered eggs around these parts, so that should be interesting to try.

anyone else dehydrating?

Upvote 1
I think I will get me one of these. It looks very useful. I do have a vacuum sealer but usually use it for blackberries , blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and fish. But I believe (Or maybe they do?) dehydrated fruits, meats etc do not need to be frozen or refrigerated? So that is a plus.

Neutral_admin

In a true SHTF scenario, where there is no power, a dehydrator is likely not going to be much good.

Use two normal window screens, cut your fruits or vegetables as consistently as you can to about 1/4" thickness, stick them between the two screens and pop it in the back window of a car parked in the sun.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
did some ground beef, mushrooms and onions last week. (separately) i seasoned the beef with salt and pepper before drying it. husbeast is taking it hiking, but did eat some for lunch yesterday.

boiled the ground beef instead of frying it (have to rinse the fat out after its cooked anyway to make it more shelf stable) as it gives a finer crumb which will dry faster. of course if you want to be left with larger chunks, fry it instead. think it took about 6 hours @ 145F.

am thinking to dry up some frozen veg next. not sure why i didnt think of it, but its such a no-brainer.

CrankyGenXer

I think my dehydrator has been going every day for a week now lol. Dried a shitload of onions, then green beans, then I dehydrated all of the remaining frozen veg from last years garden to make room for what doesn't get canned or pickled from this years. I love this time of year, the pioneer spirit is strong in this one!

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
nothing makes me happier than a full pantry and freezer full of shit i put in it.

i used to make a shit ton of "interesting" preserves when i was making stuff for the co-op and running workshops. then i figured out they wouldnt eat anything like that at home. now i just make boring assed jams and pickled beets. thats it. boring/not boring. going to do some beets this week, just need more snap lids.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
fucking snap lids. nowhere to be seen. none at dollarama, crappy or fucking walhell. couldnt stand to try another few stops, but i think today i might go try superstore. running out of options.

i had heard previously of this shortage, but fucking hell.

CrankyGenXer

@saymyname good luck, they are a rare beast. I managed to score some when they first hit crappy, saw some at Home Hardware, then they were gone again. Im thinking of getting the reusable ones because fuck this run around.

Chobes

Based Member
I was given a bass pro jerky dehydrator that I use to make backpacking and canoe trip meals. I just dehydrate leftovers like beef ragu and chili. Then I do vegetables like carrots and whatever fruits are around. Peaches are excellent dried. One of our favorite camp meals is uncle bens rice, beef jerky and carrots.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
i dried some nectarines and bananas last week. too lazy to package them up. instead we are just picking them off the tray and eating them. so. good.

Chobes

Based Member
I like to throw the dried peaches into my oatmeal in the morning. Banana chips I wouldn't bother packaging because they get annihilated by the kids.