Announcement New Forum Features: Favourite Reactions & Reaction Sorting

For FCW community announcements

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
We have a few new forum features.

Every once and a while we have been asked to add this reaction or that reaction.

To do so, required us to swap out other reactions, because anymore than 28 and it wouldn't show up well for members who use mobile.

This also removed all previous uses of the reaction we were removing.

This new feature addresses that, and gives everyone the flexibility to chose whichever reactions they want in their rotation (from a pre-selected batch of reactions).

In your account preferences:

Screenshot from 2022-03-25 07-28-32.png

You should now see a listing of ~60-65 reactions (here are some of them):

Screenshot from 2022-03-25 07-28-41.png

We have selected a default rotation of 28 reactions.
You can select up to 28, of the 60-65 reactions, for your own personal rotation of reactions.
(At least one reaction must be selected).

At the bottom of the list, you will see how many you currently have selected:

Screenshot from 2022-03-25 07-34-56.png

And, you'll see the option to Sort your rotation of favourite reactions (i.e., the order in which they show up on your reaction bar).

Note:
If you have a reaction selected, say, 'Angry', use that reaction for some posts, and then, switch off 'Angry' to chose a different reaction in its place, your old uses of 'Angry' won't disappear.
You just simply won't be able to use 'Angry' again, at least until you add it back into your rotation.

As a heads up, we might have to do one more minor patch to this Favourite Reactions add-on, which could reset your custom rotation back to the default rotation.

Last edited:

AUGUSTO_PINOCHET

FREE HELICOPTER RIDES INQUIRE WITHIN
Helicopter Enthusiast

Every once and a while we have been asked to add this reaction or that reaction.

To do so, required us to swap out other reactions, because anymore than 28 and it wouldn't show up well for members who use mobile.

This new feature addresses that, and gives everyone the flexibility to chose whichever reactions they want in their rotation (from a pre-selected batch of reactions).

View attachment 21758

View attachment 21759

You can select up to 28, of the 60-65 reactions, for your own personal rotation of reactions.

View attachment 21761

And, you'll see the option to Sort your rotation of favourite reactions (i.e., the order in which they show up on your reaction bar).

Note:
If you have a reaction selected, say, 'Angry', use that reaction for some posts, and then, switch off 'Angry' to chose a different reaction in its place, your old uses of 'Angry' won't disappear.
You just simply won't be able to use 'Angry' again, at least until you add it back into your rotation.

As a heads up, we might have to do one more minor patch to this Favourite Reactions add-on, which could reset your custom rotation back to the default rotation.
The ConservationistGood work lads.

I'd like to point out that while FreeCanada is constantly improving, upgrading and growing, our old friend Ham is maintaining the status quo over at Omega.

Great job admin and mod team!

WornOak

View attachment 21758

View attachment 21759

View attachment 21761

Note:

The ConservationistI do indeed appreciate the effort.

I am a little troubled by several parts of this from a functionality perspective.
1) Re the "You just simply won't be able to use 'Angry' again, at least until you add it back into your rotation. Are you prevented from using Angry until you assign a new "Angry", or will you be unable to use "Angry" until you switch back to the same image as before?

2) If I understand this functionality correctly - each user can now have their own icon set.

Do other users see the icon set that user selected, or their own set of icons for the same reaction?

I guess my preference would be that other users see the ones the reacting user saw themselves, but perhaps there are practical limitations to how this was implemented.

Thanks in advance.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
@WornOak
(2) If I understand this functionality correctly - each user can now have their own icon set.
Do other users see the icon set that user selected, or their own set of icons for the same reaction?
I guess my preference would be that other users see the ones the reacting user saw themselves, but perhaps there are practical limitations to how this was implemented.

Let's say I've chosen the Pirate Pehpeh as one of the reactions available in my personal rotation.

This one isn't in the default rotation.

Now, let's say I've used the Pirate Pehpeh to react to a post/comment.

Other members will see that I reacted with the Pirate Pehpeh, even if they don't have that reaction in their personal rotation.

There are a few examples of this earlier in this thread.

The Elegant Owl, Thumbs Up (Don Cherry), and Pirate were all used, and, I can see them, despite none of them being in my rotation of reactions.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
@WornOak
(1) Re the "You just simply won't be able to use 'Angry' again, at least until you add it back into your rotation. Are you prevented from using Angry until you assign a new "Angry", or will you be unable to use "Angry" until you switch back to the same image as before?

Let's say you've added 'Angry (Goose)' to your rotation of reactions.

Now let's say you've used that 'Angry' reaction a few times.

After a while, perhaps you decide that you don't use 'Angry' often, and rather have a different reaction in your rotation.

So, you switch out 'Angry (Goose)' for something like 'Smells Bad (Skunk)'.

All previous instances of your use of 'Angry' will not be deleted/removed.

However, you won't be able to use the 'Angry' reaction again, unless, you re-introduce it into your reaction rotation.