Still having tons of problems with FCW and Brave Browser on Android (Edit: Grayed out toolbar error solved - Apr 15th, 2022)

ThirdStringer

Based Member
I'm not necessarily asking for remedy, but just wanted to highlight more troubles with FCW and Brave.

I've had to clear my cache three times already today because FCW stopped working properly.

One particularly strange error that I had was my entire browser screen whiteing out and becoming unresponsive when trying to use the Preview function on the Post Thread creation. I was able to recreate the error over and over even with opening and closing the Brave browser app on Android. More specifically, I was trying to post .JPG images and Twitter links in the thread at the time.

Clearing my cache of any duration (as little as Last Hour) seems to remedy all hangups, but the frequency of errors really increased today.

Updating to the latest version of Brave seems to make no difference.

Just FYI.

ThirdStringer

Based Member
Just documenting.

Just had textbox toolbar grey out and become inoperable again.

Fixed as always by clearing browser cache.

Brave for Android, version 1.35.103

Addendum: Update for Brave available, updated to 1.36.112

Past updates haven't improved issues with FCW, we will see this time.

Last edited:

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
This is related to this, correct?

ThirdStringer

Based Member
Yup, same deal.

Clearing the cache fixes it every time, but still annoying and frequent.

Not demanding a fix or anything, just documenting.

View previous replies…

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
Yeah, I've something similar happen as well, just not nearly as frequently as you.

There was one time recently that it occurred many many times in a row for me.

From what I read previously, this might resolve itself when we change servers. Not entirely sure when that will be.

Could you please attach a screenshot the next time it happens?

I'll ask the XenForo developers about it.

ThirdStringer

Based Member
@The Conservationist

Just happened again

Edit: I'm having trouble attaching files to this post despite resetting the Brave cache error (I've had this problem before)

When I select the screenshot on Android to "Attach files" to the post, a progress bar goes up to 100%.

But when I save the post, no attached file appears.

Last edited:

FreedomTruth

Truth shall make you free.
@ThirdStringer I have had trouble attaching photos to posts from my phone before.

I don't have solutions, just noting that it has also happened to me. I am also using Brave on an Android phone. It's the same thing where it looks like it has attached the photo, but no attached file appears.

ThirdStringer

Based Member
Thanks for the corroboration @FreedomTruth

I did some troubleshooting and the same problem occurs on Chrome on Android as well, so it's not an issue with Brave browser specifically.

It seems like it's a specific problem with Android/mobile.

I spoke with the mods about the issue and it's a known issue that's happened on and off for a long time. At least presently, there's no known cause and no specific fix.

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
i use avast. doesnt matter if my cache is cleared or not. its been awhile. i dont really care. just saying.

View previous replies…

ThirdStringer

Based Member
@saymyname

Thanks for letting the mods and I know that users are still having this problem.

There has been several old reports of different users having similar problems with all different types of browsers, but yours is the first new report in a while.

Your case may be unique though as everyone else had success in fixing it with emptying their browser cache.

I worked with the mods to troubleshoot the problem and the cause seems to have been identified.

The problem doesn't seem to be caused by any particular browser itself, but an issue with the XenForo software used to run FCW. It also may be an error where individual users are tripping the problem by accidentally hitting a button in the toolbar.

266005-e788929d001e64af2e1533154dd34ea6.png

Normal toolbar should appear like this

266006-e647f424d69e80ef52116df2e44d76c4.png

Grayed out error looks like this

20220415_105813.jpg

Even when the rest of the toolbar is grayed out, this "[ ]" icon should still be darker and still clickable.

Hitting this button should restore the rest of the grayed out toolbar to it's previous darker, usable state.

Last edited:

ThirdStringer

Based Member
Sorry, had to split up the post to get all the screenshots in.

20220415_110312.jpg

If your "[ ]" icon isn't immediately visible on the upper righthand corner, you may have to hit this three vertical dot ellipsis icon to have the "[ ]" icon become available in the lower submenu.

If this does not fix your problem or if your error is different @saymyname , please post here or let one of the mods know.

Your situation is a little unique, as all previous cases were solved with a simple cache clear.

To yourself or anyone else encountering a similar error, hitting the "[ ]" icon should immediately revert your grayed out toolbar back to normal function anytime this happens without having to clear your cache.

It remains unclear whether this error is somehow being triggered by users like us accidentally hitting the "[ ]" button on our own to turn the toolbar gray or if the XenForo FCW software is somehow turning it on/off on its own.

The "[ ]" button is an old XenForo software feature that no one uses allowing users to use BB (Bulletin Board) code in their posts, sort of like old HTML functions.

There is a possible permanent backend fix that would likely solve the error for everyone that the mods could consider by removing the offending "[ ]" icon altogether.

Unfortunately though, it also would remove other useful icons from the toolbar as well like the "Save Draft" feature, so there are no plans to do so at this time.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

ThirdStringer

Based Member
Glad the same hack worked for you @saymyname

It should work each time in the event the greying returns.

As I mentioned above, for the time being it may continue to happen from time-to-time as there isn't an acceptable solution presently to permanently fix it.

ThirdStringer

Based Member
Brave Android Toolbar grayout just happened again.

Edit: Goddammit, took a proper screenshot this time and the "Attach Files" function is still making it disappear when I post the post