Appropriation Only Goes One Way...

KindaScaredinBC

This just struck me, because if we're going to agonize over "accurate representations" in pop culture, why can't it go both ways?

- Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother

- Cynthia Nixon in Sex and the City

- Ellen Page in Juno

The list goes on and on and on.

I am not ignorant of the fact that one of the big arguments in the CTV piece is that this is a question of giving roles to people who may struggle to find work in film and TV, because of their identity as Trans or gender non confirming persons.

OK.

So, will Hollywood/major network TV give the likes of Jim Caviezel a fair shot? Kirk Cameron? This is assuming they'd even take any role offered, which, given how sick that "world" is, they may not.

But my point still stands.

All I'm saying is that people need to calm down and start treating all of this as a two way street, to avoid sowing further division.

Or, you know, we could just let any actor play any role since it's THEIR JOB to embody a character that maybe doesn't perfectly represent their actual personality/situation in life.

For Pete's sake.

Upvote 17

Niacin

These kinds of thing irritate me.

It's an actors job to play a role. That's it.

It's not acting if you are actually the thing you are "pretending" to be. It's important to fit the role.

Are we only supposed to have real murderers play fake ones now?

View previous replies…

JuanTitor

The American
There is a reason all these sorts of people support communism: they know their talents and work ethic will not get them anywhere in life, so they beg for handouts under the guise of equality, equity, and social justice.

There are gay actors who don't whine like this, mostly because they are talented actors; I don't ever recall Ian McKellen whining about stuff like this, because he is a talented actor and could find plenty of roles.

border_humper

Chief Disinfo Officer
I think this virus has nearly destroyed Hollywood and I am glad for that, but I wonder what will rise in its place?

View previous replies…

❌❌❌SENTINEL❌❌❌

Gummy Bear Dealer
Complete replacement of many actors with full CGI Casts comes to mind...

Much more cost efficient, no surprise tantrums (just some planned metaverse publicity stunts).

Could even market an A.I. character as the next best Thang!

.... I'm now picturing this A.I. tramping it up in the metaverse... Future World Scandels...

Ahh shit....
A.I. Lives Matter protests incoming...

Hirudinea

12" Member

This just struck me, because if we're going to agonize over "accurate representations" in pop culture, why can't it go both ways?

- Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother

- Cynthia Nixon in Sex and the City

- Ellen Page in Juno

The list goes on and on and on.

I am not ignorant of the fact that one of the big arguments in the CTV piece is that this is a question of giving roles to people who may struggle to find work in film and TV, because of their identity as Trans or gender non confirming persons.

OK.

So, will Hollywood/major network TV give the likes of Jim Caviezel a fair shot? Kirk Cameron? This is assuming they'd even take any role offered, which, given how sick that "world" is, they may not.

But my point still stands.

All I'm saying is that people need to calm down and start treating all of this as a two way street, to avoid sowing further division.

Or, you know, we could just let any actor play any role since it's THEIR JOB to embody a character that maybe doesn't perfectly represent their actual personality/situation in life.

For Pete's sake.
KindaScaredinBC
Just the typical left, rules for thee but not for me.