Anyone else hate the thread formatting here?

Chicken_Sandwich

I wish the threads just showed every reply in chronological order, with quote replies, like a normal forum. This "thread within a thread" shit is gay.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
I take it you weren't on the WIN network?

The default for this forum software is to show everything in chronological order, with quote replies.

The 'thread within a thread' is a customization we have, for the sake of organization. There are pros and cons to it.

I've been wondering lately if a mixed version is possible.

Like, it could be a user choice which way it displays for them, as either what you prefer, or, roughly as it is now.

I will be working to improve the way threads display sometime in the near future (it's somewhere in the top 5-7 of things to do).

Chicken_Sandwich

Yea i am on the WIN network.
But the way this forum looks, I just wish it functioned like a normal old classic forum like those vBulletin ones from yesteryear.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
Right.

We're sort of going for a hybrid of old-school-forum and Reddit/WIN-forums.

Adopting some functionality from the latter, for the sake of trying to improve the forum in some manner.

In this case, about the thread layouts, I was planning on asking the software developer who created the original customization to improve it for us in a few ways.

Adopting some more of the Reddit/WIN functionality. Such as being able to collapse the thread trees (e.g., the 'threads within a thread'), for example.
I was also thinking of asking the software dev to make it a user-choice of what the layout looks like.

The first part (adopting Reddit/WIN functionality) should be easier, the second part (making it user-choice) I have no idea. I can imagine how the second part would be done, which is a good start, though, I don't know what the actual coding of it would be like (i.e., easy or difficult).

Rusty Canuckleford

DEI = Death of European Identity
Conspiracy Factologist
I will say, sometimes the forum skips past comments that I haven’t viewed yet. Not sure what is happening there.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
Let's say it's a thread that you have partially read, and there have been 3-5 new comments since you opened it.

Some on old comment/thread trees towards the top of the thread (call these comments A), and some new comments at the bottom of the thread (call these comments B).

If you open the thread by clicking on a particular member's response, it will bring you to their response. If that response happens to belong to "comments B", that will result in you having skipped "comments A".

Something to that effect is what is happening. The details might change a bit.