Is there a reason why we can't have poll threads in the 'general' forum?

an experiment

• a

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b

• b

• cc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red-Pilled

A Pandemic of the Vaccinated
Is there a reason we can't have the 'making a poll' feature found in this sub forum in the 'General' forum? (as this sub-forum is kinda off the beaten track)

Thanks
(I think there was a bug with not being able to upvote a poll thread, is that why?)

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
It has to do with the way the XenForo 2 forum software is designed.

There are four different types of sub-forum (e.g., "Suggestion", "Discussion", "Question", and "Article").

Only a "suggestion"-type sub-forum can have upvoting on threads.

And these "suggestion"-type sub-forums do not have the ability to do polls (e.g., only "discussion"- and "question"-types can).

The best way to do it, if you want extra visibility, is to create a poll thread here in Polls or in Suggestions sub-forums, and then make a thread in General with the link to the first thread.

Red-Pilled

Thanks for the explanation, I see. A thread with a link to here could work as a work around.
Cheers

View previous replies…

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
Another way to do it is to create a thread on General, have it moved, then add a poll after it is moved. It'll leave a re-direct in General for a day or two. But, these re-directs cannot be bumped, so, it'll be buried after a day or so.

Red-Pilled

@The Conservationist Prob a stupid question, but couldn't 'general' be setup as a 'suggestion' forum? When you start a thread in this sub-forum it looks as though the 'default' posting system is just the same as posting in 'general' (but it has the added option of 'poll'?

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
@Red-Pilled 'General' is a 'Suggestion'-type forum.

'Polls' is a 'Question'-type forum, if I'm not mistaken.

The threads here in 'Polls' have the option of polls, but lack thread upvoting. That's the biggest difference, really.

Red-Pilled

@The Conservationist Sorry, I realized after I posted my previous post it could cause confusion, didn't write it very well.

This is what I see at my end in this forum, when making a thread, it gives the impression you can choose and select all those 4 types of things in "this" one 'sub-forum:- 'Discussion' , 'Poll' , 'Article', 'Question' :
1633216739586.png
With the default being 'discussion' which is what I used in making this thread - ('discussion' just seems the same as 'general')?
[Edit - I think you can but you lose the ability to have upvotes?]

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
@Red-Pilled Ah, I see.

Now that I see it, I think 'Polls' might actually be a mixed-type. Multiple options.

The only unavailable option is 'suggestion'-type.

'Discussion' is very close to 'General', it just lacks the thread upvoting, as far as I'm aware.