Carney Responds to US Reciprocal Tariffs Update

border_humper

Staff Member
Moderator
Chief Disinfo Officer

Matthew Horwood, Epic Times

Prime Minister Mark Carney said that although the United States didn’t impose any new tariffs on Canada, the previously announced levies remain in place and Canada is responding to those with retaliatory tariffs.
The White House announced on April 2 that countries would receive a 10 percent baseline tariff rate, effective on April 5, with higher rates for countries depending on their trade deficit with the United States.
In the case of Canada, the initial 10 percent tariffs on its energy exports to the Americans and broad 25 percent tariffs on Canada and Mexico, which are related to illegal migration and fentanyl trafficking and went into effect on Feb. 4, will remain in place, unchanged. The current exemptions on goods covered by the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) free trade deal, implemented on March 6, will also remain.
The 25 percent tariffs on foreign-made cars and car parts announced March 26 are set to apply to Canada and other countries on April 3. The Trump administration had also previously announced 25 percent tariffs on all aluminum and steel imports, including from Canada, which went into effect on March 12.
Carney said U.S. President Donald Trump’s latest announcement “preserved a number of important elements of our relationship,” but he took issue with the other tariffs remaining in place. He said Canada is retaliating with its own tariffs.
“The series of measures will directly affect millions of Canadians. We are going to fight these tariffs with countermeasures. We are going to protect our workers, and we are going to build the strongest economy in the G7,” Carney told reporters in Ottawa on April 2. The prime minister also said Trump plans to impose additional tariffs related to “so-called strategic sectors” in the United States, such as pharmaceuticals, lumber, and semiconductors. “So we’re in a situation where there is going to be an impact on the U.S. economy, which will build with time ... but the series of measures will directly affect millions of Canadians,” he said.
The White House said that if the fentanyl and illegal migration issues are resolved, Canada would default to the new reciprocal tariff regime where USMCA goods would continue to have “preferential treatment” and other goods would have a 12 percent reciprocal tariff.
Canada has previously announced counter-tariffs on C$30 billion worth of U.S. goods effective Feb. 4, while a second phase of tariffs on another C$125 billion worth of American exports that was set to kick in on March 25 was delayed. Ottawa also implemented C$29.8 billion in U.S. goods on March 12 in response to America’s 25 percent steel and aluminum tariffs.
While speaking at a rally in Kingston, Ont., Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said the incoming auto tariffs are “an unfair attack” on Canada’s economy.
“For decades, workers on both sides of the border locked arms to build the greatest auto sector in the world. The president is betraying America’s closest friend and attacking our economy,” he said. Poilievre has said in the past that he supports dollar-for-dollar retaliation against the U.S. tariffs.

Premiers Respond​

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith called the new announcement by the White House an “important win for Canada and Alberta,” noting that the United States has decided to “uphold the majority of the free trade agreement [USMCA]. ”
“It means that the majority of goods sold into the United States from Canada will have no tariffs applied to them, including 0% tariffs on energy, minerals, agricultural products, uranium, seafood, potash and host of other Canadian goods,” Smith said in a social media post on Apr. 2.
Smith said Ottawa and the premiers should shift their focus toward “removing or significantly reducing” the remaining tariffs, and called on all “our national advocacy efforts to focus on diplomacy and persuasion” and to avoid “unnecessary escalation.”
Quebec Premier François Legault said in a post that his government is “aware” of the new announcement by the Trump administration and that he will provide further comments on April 3 after meeting with the prime minister and other premiers.
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe said he remains “concerned about the previously announced tariffs on Canadian steel and lumber,” and that his government will continue to engage with Americans to remove the tariffs.
“Saskatchewan will continue to make the case that free and fair trade benefits our citizens on both sides of the border as we work to increase our export markets in the US and throughout the world,” Moe wrote on social media.
Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston noted that Canada wasn’t “hit with the worst-case scenario in terms of tariffs” but “thousands of Nova Scotians will be impacted” by the remaining tariffs.
“This entire experience has been a huge drain on the mental health of Canadians, and thousands of Nova Scotians are exhausted from the stress of dealing with this uncertainty and instability,” Houston said in a social media post.
He added that the province’s retaliatory measures, which are non-tariff in nature, remain in place.
“This means we will continue to look for ways to put Nova Scotia and Canadian companies first as we review and cancel non-essential contracts with U.S. suppliers,” he said. “The increased tolls at the Cobequid Pass for commercial vehicles from the U.S. will remain. American alcohol will remain off the shelves of the Nova Scotia Liquor Corp. stores.”
In an apparent reference to the White House announcement, Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said on social media, “We are going to work together so that we can deliver on a simple promise - that your jobs are going to be here today, tomorrow and long after Donald Trump leaves office.”
Earlier in the day, Ontario Premier Doug Ford appeared in various American media interviews, saying in a social media post that the tariffs will “put millions of American jobs at risk and raise costs for families across the U.S.”
best article I’ve read on where tariff situation stands.
“huge drain on the mental health of Canadians”
guess the rich ones will be flying down to Disney World soon for some Florida sun.

View: https://x.com/tpostmillennial/status/1907831435777429513?s=61&t=gOuPM4AwCWPbUFeBYBm1rg
 
Last edited:
Upvote 12
but I was told trump is a dumb ass and tariffs are a tax on the customer so why is Carney doing the same to cdns? Is he not smart like we were told?
 
Carney is here to directly wreck Canada.
 
That guy wants UBI so badly he can practically taste it. But once it’s in place, that’s it—game over. I still think Canada be be saved just send the TFW home and any student is not going to stay once they finish school. %90 of them would quit on the spot if told that.
 
Anything but stop the swarths from showing up here, shutting down the stupid asylum program or actually putting people in jail.

SERK IT TRERMP FERFTER PERCERNT NO CERLERFERNER WERN ERN DE SHELF

CERNER ER SERVIER
 
It blows my mind the kind of idiots you see in Canada. I know at Calgary City Hall, the Somalis love hanging out there. You can tell they’re dumb as hell—it’s as if Canada just sent random planes overseas, flung the doors open, and told everyone to hop in.
 
Back
Top