Discussion Some Thoughts On Short-To-Midterm Preparing, For Large City Living

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
It might not seem like it based on my various thread and comment posts, but, I'm personally of the belief that things will turn around rather quickly (a few years at most).

While there are many terrible possible futures, involving various levels of communism, I'm fairly confident that the US will turn it around soon (e.g., think election fraud), which brings the COVID hoax down with it, and that eventually bleeds into resolving some of the issues up here in Canada.

The next several months will likely be rather revealing which direction this will go (i.e., The Great Reset vs. The Great Awakening).

During the short-to-midterm future, I anticipate some "turbulence", particularly for Canadians. People living in the US (red states) might experience less of this.

This turbulence would probably look like continued political instability, possibly violence (riots/looting), continued attempts to ramp up censorship, hardships put upon us via vaccine passports, and/or, supply chain shortages (particularly if the cyber attacks occur like most of us anticipate).

So, with that in mind, this thread in particular will be on some preparing people could do if they also believe things will turn around, but, will be rough for a period of time.

Here are some items which would be good to stock up on, anticipating temporary supply chain shortages, for city living:

- Canned foods
- Dry pasta
- Deep freezer + meats, salt
- Frozen veggies, berries
- Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex/tissues
- Cleaning products
- Laundry detergent
- Personal hygiene products
- Tampons (for women, obviously)
- Socks/underwear/some clothes
- Children clothing (for families who have growing children), toys
- Batteries, flashlight(s)
- Candles, matches, lighters
- Non-digital entertainment (physical books, board games, card games, etc.)
- Bottled water (perhaps a few 24 packs, or more)
- Frozen juice concentrate (for children)
- A means to defend your home, if it comes to that
- Vitamins, prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs (e.g., Tylonel, Motrin, melatonin, etc.)
- Cold & flu medicines, COVID medicines (e.g., Ivermectin, dandelion teas, etc.), canned chicken noodle soup, cough droplets, hand sanitzier
- Paper, printer ink, pencils, pens, etc.
- Spare cell phone battery, chargers, laptop chargers (if you anticipate these breaking, power being available, it's something you feel you need, etc.)

Please feel free to add to this list. It is by no means exhaustive, just a quick brainstorming of ideas.

Many of these items would overlap with situations worse than described above, though, in that case, it would probably be best to get out of the city, and, become more self-sufficient.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
It might not seem like it based on my various thread and comment posts, but, I'm personally of the belief that things will turn around rather quickly (a few years at most).

While there are many terrible possible futures, involving various levels of communism, I'm fairly confident that the US will turn it around soon (e.g., think election fraud), which brings the COVID hoax down with it, and that eventually bleeds into resolving some of the issues up here in Canada.

The next several months will likely be rather revealing which direction this will go (i.e., The Great Reset vs. The Great Awakening).

During the short-to-midterm future, I anticipate some "turbulence", particularly for Canadians. People living in the US (red states) might experience less of this.

This turbulence would probably look like continued political instability, possibly violence (riots/looting), continued attempts to ramp up censorship, hardships put upon us via vaccine passports, and/or, supply chain shortages (particularly if the cyber attacks occur like most of us anticipate).

So, with that in mind, this thread in particular will be on some preparing people could do if they also believe things will turn around, but, will be rough for a period of time.

Here are some items which would be good to stock up on, anticipating temporary supply chain shortages, for city living:

- Canned foods
- Dry pasta
- Deep freezer + meats, salt
- Frozen veggies, berries
- Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex/tissues
- Cleaning products
- Laundry detergent
- Personal hygiene products
- Tampons (for women, obviously)
- Socks/underwear/some clothes
- Children clothing (for families who have growing children), toys
- Batteries, flashlight(s)
- Candles, matches, lighters
- Non-digital entertainment (physical books, board games, card games, etc.)
- Bottled water (perhaps a few 24 packs, or more)
- Frozen juice concentrate (for children)
- A means to defend your home, if it comes to that
- Vitamins, prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs (e.g., Tylonel, Motrin, melatonin, etc.)
- Cold & flu medicines, COVID medicines (e.g., Ivermectin, dandelion teas, etc.), canned chicken noodle soup, cough droplets, hand sanitzier
- Paper, printer ink, pencils, pens, etc.
- Spare cell phone battery, chargers, laptop chargers (if you anticipate these breaking, power being available, it's something you feel you need, etc.)

Please feel free to add to this list. It is by no means exhaustive, just a quick brainstorming of ideas.

Many of these items would overlap with situations worse than described above, though, in that case, it would probably be best to get out of the city, and, become more self-sufficient.

Last edited:

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
re: freezers and other shit that require refrigeration - i tend towards keeping more dried/canned goods that will last

dehydrating and canning are good times family fun if you want it to be.

Chobes

Based Member
I've got a dehydrator for beef jerky but I mostly use it for fruit and veg and making my own backpacking meals by dehydrating leftovers. I plan to mock up a large temporary smoker that if the freezer can't hold out I can large scale preserve the meat and can the stock and maybe some meat.

D

Deleted member 84

I think at the bare minimum to stave of rising costs of products, one could learn how to create basic things:

Soap
Shampoo
Vinegar (Cleaning, canning)
Alcohol

If you have the room to garden then do so. Canadian winters are long however you can grow veg indoors for relatively cheap.

Electricity is tough however, if you can buy an RV freezer/Fridge itll run on 12V. Throw a solar panel on battery system and you should be covered for fresh food.

Heat is simple go wood stove not pellet, since they do not operate without power. However you once again could overcome that with an inverter and a battery/solar system.

If you live high up, then look into a small wind generator. Lots of people who sail have these onboard.

Chobes

Based Member
Great thread. I just installed a woodstove last year against most peoples advice and im glad I did. Its been a great little hobby and a nice backup if the hydro is out and I don't want to fire the generator.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is the sump pump. I have a generator and battery backup but that wouldn't last much longer than a storm blackout or a couple weeks max.

MrDKilgallen

When I first started prepping many, many years ago, I bought two plastic containers of dried food packets. Each container would last one person for 1 month. The shelf life was 20 years. I ordered these on line from Costco if I recall correctly. The containers would also be handy as temporary toilets as they can be sealed with the lid. Don't forget that you can use your hot water tank as a water source. It's great to have a bug out plan but that may not always be possible (think EMP or something similar) so make sure you can shelter in place if you have to. I live in a large city and intend to stay.

Thanks for posting your list. It reminds me that I need to top up on some items.

Trudeaus coke dealer

Tim Hortons hiring practices destroyed society.
You can cook them up just like rice if you need. So long as you have some butter to go with it you can survive so long as neither runs out.

Home_

Son of the settlers

I’ve downloaded offline this entire website and have been picking and choosing things to print and laminate

In addition to the forum we should have a roundtable discussion on a single survival topic every week and just go over everything about it. I love stuff like that

My nomination for a first topic would be “what it means to be a grey man and how to be one”

FreedomTruth

Truth shall make you free.
If you get a biolite, it can charge your phone. Useful for power outages or wilderness survival, not useful for an EMP.

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
We lived in a travel trailer last summer with a young child, and had to literally get our water from a river, so I learned a lot from that experience.

Have bleach on hand (it does expire, and stay away from weird formulations like color safe or whatever) and know the ratio to use it for both sanitizing purposes and for drinking. It costs next to nothing and has so many uses.

Have a plunger (if you have space, an extra with holes drilled in already is great, but it’s easy enough to do if SHTF) and 2 basic 5 gallon pails. You can do laundry quite easily. I did all my family’s laundry for the summer, outside. I bought a laundry wringer which is expensive but honestly heavy wet laundry is the toughest part, so consider a solution to that (manual spinner, etc)

A gross but true tip I gotta share. Cheap baby wash cloths make perfect cloth toilet paper. Seriously. Save your TP stores for number 2 and do “family cloth”. If you wash them separately with bleach and detergent they will get plenty clean w the plunging method. Add sun on the drying line, it’s perfect. I use the dollar store packs, and they last a long time even with harsh washing to get them super clean.

this applies even more for those with babies. Cloth diapers are amazing and can be used many, many times. I even do it now for financial reasons and “not wasting stuff for no reason” reasons

Last edited: