Info Request Any suggestions on a new weed eater?

ThirdStringer

Based Member
It's getting to that time of spring again and my 30+ year old model has been put out to pasture.

Anyone have any suggestions in terms of brand, horsepower, nice-to-have features, innovations, where to buy, warranties?

Preferences
1) I'm cheap, so cheaper is always better
2) I'm going with cordless over plug-in or gas-powered this time.
3) Lightweight is preferred. I have girlish arms and tire easily.
4) I had some issues with my last unit causing some neuropathy/carpal tunnel syndrome/white hand syndrome discomfort with handling it even for short periods because of vibration, even through wearing work gloves.

I thought it was because my unit was so ancient and malfunctioning (it was also tripping and killing the safety on my outdoor plugs), but I also borrowed someone else's unit last year and similar discomfort appeared.

I assume this probably means I want a unit that is more underpowered.

Thank you!

Upvote 6

Smeg

It's getting to that time of spring again and my 30+ year old model has been put out to pasture.

Anyone have any suggestions in terms of brand, horsepower, nice-to-have features, innovations, where to buy, warranties?

Preferences
4) I had some issues with my last unit causing some neuropathy/carpal tunnel syndrome/white hand syndrome discomfort with handling it even for short periods because of vibration, even through wearing work gloves.

I thought it was because my unit was so ancient and malfunctioning (it was also tripping and killing the safety on my outdoor plugs), but I also borrowed someone else's unit last year and similar discomfort appeared.

Thank you!
ThirdStringerAre you talking about a mower or a girlfriend?

confused.gif

Yes, I'm a smartass.

Preferences

Thank you!
ThirdStringer

These seem ok

ThirdStringer

Based Member
1652558104749.png

RYOBI 18V ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer/Edger and Blower Combo Kit with Battery & Charger​

I ended up buying this combo for 148$ because it was the cheapest one that met my criteria.

Leaf blower was only an extra 30$.

I checked out the replacement batteries, and they alone were 99$.

Psychododo

White Supreme Pizza
Late post and I know you're adverse to gas powered but the troy built 304BC I got from crappy tire for about $250 is serving me very well.

It comes with a blade and the whip, and you can get multiple other extra attachments like a rotor tiller and hedge saw and such.

The biggest perk however is it's a 4 stroke, so you dont need blue gas for it. Straight 87 octane reg gas outta the pump into it.

I'm clearing thigh high grass with 6 inches of dead undergrass on my new piece of land with it and shes powering well for the shit I'm putting it through.

It'll easily handle any basic yardwork for you and since you can get multiple attachments where it's literally click lock in you should be fine with your patch of land.

1yr warranty on it and if you splurge (I didnt its easy enough to pull start) you can electric start it.

Squishybear

Also late to the partay.

I have a Milwaukee M18 FUEL brushless something rather.

We already had a ton of Milwaukee batteries so that works out well.

Happy with it. Does the job and you get about an hour or two of high powered work per battery out of it. Not too heavy either, I don’t even use a sling or anything.

Bought a hedger attachment as well and it all works well. Considering getting a chainsaw attachment next.