employment recommendation

I am middle-aged and it has become apparent that the likelihood of getting employment in the creative fields is unlikely to happen. All my eggs are basically in that basket.

I am a decent cook, occasional baker, and doing a modicum of gardening this summer. Aside from that I have no real practical skills or experience.

Can anyone recommend a career path with upward mobility for someone in my position?

Upvote 19

Ass_sandwich77

depends on your expectations. Theres always going to places to work but you might have to start at the bottom, or invest time into learning a new skill. your never too old to learn a new skill. On the contrary you probably have a plenthrea of transferable skills you've picked over the years that could easily translate to other areas if giving the chance to be nurtured or refined.

If you have time to look id recommend looking in Trucking, get your AZ liesence. There in high demand now and have a good entry level pay. Mining is another field that (at times) hires and trains people with no prior experience but can be physically demanding and you may have to relocate.

since you have some experience with culinary arts another options would be restaurant management. Alot of people have a hard time with this cus people in the food service industry are kinda looked at as a joke and associated with kids and high schoolers but they always need people and especially managers

this is what kinda happened to me at the beginning of the pandemic. I got a collage degree and tons of different certifications and what not but I didn't have time to look so i grabbed some shity fast food job. was less then 4 months till they boosted me up to management where i basiclly keep track of inventory and babysit retarded teenagers.

Nothing to be proud of at all but allowed me to avoid CERB and still work unvaxxed.

D

Deleted member 1153

Just pick a trade and find someone to employ you. If you're responsible and have brain cells you'll look better to an employer than hiring some meth addict or retarded teenager.

I've considered this, but I feel I'm so damn old to start an apprenticeship. Seems like I'd be over 50 before getting past that point.

View previous replies…
D

Deleted member 1153

Look at it this way: If you're 50 when you complete your apprenticeship and become a journeyman, you have 15-20+ years of work as a certified journeyman. That's a long fucking time.

Most of the workers in my part of Ontario building production homes and commercial are Latin American laborers. I know this because I hear them speaking Spanish when I walk by and they blare CHA CHA CHA music all the time. If they can do it, you can. Builders and contractors see all kinds of fucking retarded applicants. If you're a good dude who is eager to learn, you'll find a place somewhere for sure. Some idiot might say you're too old but whatever, fuck them. Let them hire the meth addicts.

H!llb!lly

Based Member
@SurlyLancelot machining would be the most lucrative and highest demand next to welding. Blacksmithing is a niche market, a good skill for sure, but you gotta rely on peddling your artsy stuff, which would be tough till you get a name for yourself. Depending where you are, learning to shoe horses can be very profitable although physically demanding. A normal set of shoes these days is costing upwards of $150, some guys are doing 8-10 horses a day.

D

Deleted member 1153

Can't just write off all the young people or you end up a tired old boomer. Some will work hard, some won't. But yah it's probably bad now, especially in Canada.

Trucking seems so precarious with these looming mandates.

ThirdStringer

Based Member
Seems like fuel prices are about to turn the industry on its head as well

Watching livestreams with one of the Ottawa truckers as an owner/operator, he broke down the math for domestic routes he can bid on and said he barely breaks even and only the US routes to Florida paid his bills

Niacin

Consider working at vehicle or recreational dealerships. At my work we're hiring detailers starting at $18/hr and that's the entry level job, in Okanagan area of BC.

It can grow into any department in the dealership that your aptitude leans to. Smaller owned places are best to try and start at, like RV or Boat dealerships. You'll find that your existing skills may already translate over very well.

I mean, the fact that you're on this forum tells me that you at least know how to navigate your way around a computer/internet that's like 1/2 of a receptionists job, have a decent phone demeanor and you're set. Finding people who are minimally competant and won't spend ridiculous amounts of time on their phone jerking off is near impossible these days.

Also, don't be shy about a cover letter. People don't do them anymore and I personally find it annoying trying to pick through someone's resume to figure out how their past job experience is gonna fit with the role. It really helps a lot. Especially if you don't have a lot of "work" experience, but do have other stuff.

Last edited:

saymyname

Safe Space Counsellor
yes. cover letters. when i used to have a job where i was in charge of hiring, i would usually pick the one who included a cover letter over any asshole who didnt.

JordanPEDErson

Hard No.
Alberta Freedom Fighter
Oil is 110 a barrel, throw pipe for 33 bucks an hour starting wage for groundhands at some places. No vax but ya might need to piss in a cup pre employment.