Announcement FCW & Tor

For FCW community announcements

The Conservationist

Save The West
Resistance Is Not Futile
With the recent changes to FreeCanada, we also changed the landing page when you enter the web-link 'freecanada.win'.

Before, it used to re-direct you to 'freecanada.win/forums/general', now, it re-directs you to 'freecanada.win/forums'.

The reason for this change, is that any person not logged in, would be re-directed to 'freecanada.win/forums/general/', which would show up as a broken page for them.

They would not see our welcoming thread post for non-logged-in folks, and as such, they might assume that FreeCanada is down.

This change did have two unintended consequences though:
(1) 'forums/general' takes longer to load, and thus, setting the landing page to it, would effectively make FCW slower to use because you would be going through that web-page first
(2) Tor takes longer to load as it is, and, for people perhaps with slower internet connections, the coupled effect of being on Tor and loading 'freecanada.win/forums' as your first opening page to FCW, might cause it to get stuck. I know for my slower internet, to use Tor I sometimes have to refresh 2-3 times to get un-stuck, on the first page I go to on FCW

The forum back-end does not currently allow for us to re-direct non-logged-in folks to 'freecanada.win/forums', while re-directing logged-in-folks to 'freecanada/forums/general'.

For the time being, we would suggest manually entering the web-link 'freecanada.win/forums/general' to speed it up, perhaps put it in your bookmark bar if you use it often.

It would work better in the Tor browser if you guys had a direct .onion site. As it is right now, we must always transit an exit node to get to freecanada, and do a dns lookup. If it were a Tor hidden service, it would definitely be quicker, and uncensorable.

It's easy enough to do it, just need to setup Tor with your own private key on the same machine that you already run freecanada on. A few tweaks to your nginx.conf or whatever tf you guys use, and you're in business. Lots of tutorials and infos out there.

JordanPEDErson

Hard No.
Alberta Freedom Fighter
We have a second server running nginx, we are working on a few things ie: E2EE self hosted chat, more security features for host, etc. I plan to eventually move everything over there once it's all sorted - but as a side project it's taking me longer than anticipated I bought the server over 2 months ago lol. It's a legit offshore, privacy numba won host with exceptional reviews in the area of privacy.